Each month, the PsychU Spotlight highlights the most important topics and most recent innovations in mental health. The collection includes carefully curated resources to keep our members up-to-date on the latest in mental health care.
Addressing Substance Use
Substance use disorders can refer to either substance use or substance dependence that causes clinically significant impairment or interferes with an individual’s behavioral, physical, or social functioning.1 Why focus on substance abuse and mental health? According to the 2014 National Survey on Drug Use & Health, nearly 7.9 million individuals in the U.S. experience dual diagnosis or co-occurring disorders.2 It is vital that treatment for dual diagnoses addresses both mental health and substance abuse (e.g. supplementing substance use treatment with target mental health care), which has been shown to improve treatment outcomes.3
Did You Know?
Upcoming Spotlight Themes
- May 2021 – Mental Wellness Across The Lifespan
- June 2021 – Trauma-Informed Care
- July 2021 – Workplace Mental Health
- August 2021 – Metrics & Improvements In Quality Outcomes
- September 2021 – Preventing Suicide
- October 2021 – The Next Crisis: Major Depressive Disorder
- November 2021 – E-Health & Technology Related To Trauma
- December 2021 – New Innovations In The Treatment Of Schizophrenia