Each month, the PsychU Spotlight highlights the most important topics and most recent innovations in mental health. The collection includes carefully curated resources to keep our members up-to-date on the latest in mental health care.
Serious mental illness (SMI) can affect an individual’s executive functioning, short-term memory, and attention span. Cognitive dysfunction is a core feature of schizophrenia; and cognitive impairment has been demonstrated in patients living with both bipolar disorder and major depression. These deficits can hinder the individuals’ daily living habits, psychosocial functioning, and health outcomes. Cognitive mediation and neuroprotection strategies, alongside adherence to other pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatments, may help patients achieve a better quality of life and better overall health outcomes.1,2,3
Did You Know?
Upcoming Spotlight Themes
- May 2021 – Mental Wellness Across The Lifespan
- June 2021 – Trauma-Informed Care
- July 2021 – Workplace Mental Health
- August 2021 – Metrics & Improvements In Quality Outcomes
- September 2021 – Preventing Suicide
- October 2021 – The Next Crisis: Major Depressive Disorder
- November 2021 – E-Health & Technology Related To Trauma
- December 2021 – New Innovations In The Treatment Of Schizophrenia