Each month, the PsychU Spotlight highlights the most important topics and most recent innovations in mental health. The collection includes carefully curated resources to keep our members up-to-date on the latest in mental health care.
Demographic, Socioeconomic, & Cultural Considerations
An individual’s mental health is influenced not only by their own characteristics or attributes, but also by external circumstances including socioeconomic status, demographic, and cultural considerations.1 Cultural competence is being respectful and responsive to the health beliefs and practices of diverse population groups at every step of the care, which allows providers to interact effectively with people of different cultures and ensure the needs of all community members are addressed.2 Some alternative approaches that can be taken include using gender, socioeconomic status, or income rather than age group as the primary unit of interest.1
Did You Know?
Upcoming Spotlight Themes
- May 2021 – Mental Wellness Across The Lifespan
- June 2021 – Trauma-Informed Care
- July 2021 – Workplace Mental Health
- August 2021 – Metrics & Improvements In Quality Outcomes
- September 2021 – Preventing Suicide
- October 2021 – The Next Crisis: Major Depressive Disorder
- November 2021 – E-Health & Technology Related To Trauma
- December 2021 – New Innovations In The Treatment Of Schizophrenia