Each month, the PsychU Spotlight highlights the most important topics and most recent innovations in mental health. The collection includes carefully curated resources to keep our members up-to-date on the latest in mental health care.
Investigating Genetics, Hormones, & Inflammation
Researchers continue to study the interplay between genetics, hormones, and inflammation as predisposing factors for serious mental illness (SMI). New discoveries related to the role of the microbiome, potential biomarker targets, and hormonal abnormalities are altering the field’s understanding of SMI, its presentation, and potential treatment. By keeping abreast of the most recent advances in the literature regarding the underlying pathophysiology of such diseases, clinicians can help to inform their understanding of diagnoses, and potentially innovative and effective treatments to improve patient outcomes in the treatment of mental illness.
Did You Know?
Upcoming Spotlight Themes
- May 2021 – Mental Wellness Across The Lifespan
- June 2021 – Trauma-Informed Care
- July 2021 – Workplace Mental Health
- August 2021 – Metrics & Improvements In Quality Outcomes
- September 2021 – Preventing Suicide
- October 2021 – The Next Crisis: Major Depressive Disorder
- November 2021 – E-Health & Technology Related To Trauma
- December 2021 – New Innovations In The Treatment Of Schizophrenia