Each month, the PsychU Spotlight highlights the most important topics and most recent innovations in mental health. The collection includes carefully curated resources to keep our members up-to-date on the latest in mental health care.
Managing Mood Disorders
Mood disorders encompass a broad range of mental illnesses that affect a person’s emotional state, including major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, seasonal affective disorder, and others. One study reported that an estimated 9.7% of U.S. adults had a mood disorder in the past year, with an estimated 21.4% experiencing a mood disorder at some time in their lives.1 Treatment of a mood disorder is usually a combination of medication and psychotherapy, depending on the specific illness and symptoms present.2 With the proper treatment, most individuals living with mood disorders are able to live full, stable, and productive lives.
Did You Know?
Upcoming Spotlight Themes
- May 2021 – Mental Wellness Across The Lifespan
- June 2021 – Trauma-Informed Care
- July 2021 – Workplace Mental Health
- August 2021 – Metrics & Improvements In Quality Outcomes
- September 2021 – Preventing Suicide
- October 2021 – The Next Crisis: Major Depressive Disorder
- November 2021 – E-Health & Technology Related To Trauma
- December 2021 – New Innovations In The Treatment Of Schizophrenia