Each month, the PsychU Spotlight highlights the most important topics and most recent innovations in mental health. The collection includes carefully curated resources to keep our members up-to-date on the latest in mental health care.
Mental Health Policy & Justice-Involved Populations
A study by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) reports incarcerated populations often live with behavioral, medical, and substance use conditions that limit their abilities to cope; therefore they have longer jail stays, serve time more in segregation during incarceration, and experience victimization or exploitation.1 How are the health care needs of this vulnerable population being addressed? That’s the topic of this month’s Spotlight, which focuses on the prevalence and plight of mental illness within justice-involved populations, and current research and news on the treatment options available to the individuals within this vulnerable population.
Did You Know?
Upcoming Spotlight Themes
- May 2021 – Mental Wellness Across The Lifespan
- June 2021 – Trauma-Informed Care
- July 2021 – Workplace Mental Health
- August 2021 – Metrics & Improvements In Quality Outcomes
- September 2021 – Preventing Suicide
- October 2021 – The Next Crisis: Major Depressive Disorder
- November 2021 – E-Health & Technology Related To Trauma
- December 2021 – New Innovations In The Treatment Of Schizophrenia