Each month, the PsychU Spotlight highlights the most important topics and most recent innovations in mental health. The collection includes carefully curated resources to keep our members up-to-date on the latest in mental health care.
Policy, Equity & Access To Services In Mental Health Care
The fight for parity and equal rights for individuals living with serious mental illness has come a long way since Dorothea Dix began lobbying for better quality of life for those with mental health conditions in the 1840s. Even with major advancements, there is still much more that can be done to increase equity and access to services for those living with mental illness.1 Policies such as the Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act (ACA), the Mental Health Parity & Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA), and other national advocacy efforts like the civil rights movement have made great gains; however, until further laws are put in place at a state and national level, desperately needed services and coverage for individuals with mental illnesses will continue to be insufficient.2
Did You Know?
Upcoming Spotlight Themes
- May 2021 – Mental Wellness Across The Lifespan
- June 2021 – Trauma-Informed Care
- July 2021 – Workplace Mental Health
- August 2021 – Metrics & Improvements In Quality Outcomes
- September 2021 – Preventing Suicide
- October 2021 – The Next Crisis: Major Depressive Disorder
- November 2021 – E-Health & Technology Related To Trauma
- December 2021 – New Innovations In The Treatment Of Schizophrenia