Each month, the PsychU Spotlight highlights the most important topics and most recent innovations in mental health. The collection includes carefully curated resources to keep our members up-to-date on the latest in mental health care.
Stigma, Suicide, & Mental Health Awareness
90% of suicide deaths occur in individuals with a mental health diagnosis, claiming the lives of an estimated 44,965 people per year. Stigmatization of mental illness can prevent people from seeking treatment, which in term exposes them to a greater risk of suicide. Behavioral health professionals, caregivers, and advocates from all disciplines work tirelessly to understand and prevent such tragedies, however, the nation’s suicide rate is the highest it’s been in 30 years – jumping 24% from 1999 to 2014. Faced with these facts and statistics, additional strategies to address suicide are being considered. Could stigma be the main roadblock in addressing suicide? Should the primary goal of suicide prevention be to reduce stigma? Join us this Mental Health Awareness Month, as the PsychU Community focuses on Suicide, Stigma & Mental Health Awareness. #UICanPreventSuicide
Did You Know?
Upcoming Spotlight Themes
- May 2021 – Mental Wellness Across The Lifespan
- June 2021 – Trauma-Informed Care
- July 2021 – Workplace Mental Health
- August 2021 – Metrics & Improvements In Quality Outcomes
- September 2021 – Preventing Suicide
- October 2021 – The Next Crisis: Major Depressive Disorder
- November 2021 – E-Health & Technology Related To Trauma
- December 2021 – New Innovations In The Treatment Of Schizophrenia