Each month, the PsychU Spotlight highlights the most important topics and most recent innovations in mental health. The collection includes carefully curated resources to keep our members up-to-date on the latest in mental health care.
Digital Health Is The Bridge:
How Do We Build It?
Digital health is a buzz word we have been hearing since before the 2020 pandemic. Despite the talk, it takes 17 years on average for a new innovation to reach just 50% of the health care delivery system.1 However, since the pandemic of 2020, there has been significant investment in the digital health sector to the likes of which we have never seen. By July 2021, digital health investments exceeded all of 2020. Among all digital health investments, mental health was the main driver realizing over $5.1 billion on it’s own. 2 Even with the investments, we do not often see the funding filtering directly to providers to impact care at the level we would expect. Consumers are not satisfied with their digital health experience. In 2022, Optum surveyed over 1,000 health care consumers and found only 16% said they could schedule care online through a website or app with their current plan or provider. Just 57% of respondents said they felt satisfied with their ability to schedule telehealth appointments. 3 Digital health is being adopted by new players and competition entering the market. 4 With staffing issues, geographical reach, and limited cash on hand; how are health and human service organizations implementing and executing digital health strategies successfully? This month’s spotlight features organizations that layout a path to follow into the digital future of health. It also features research and case studies on the impact digital health tools can have on providers, payers, and the consumer.
- Oss, M. E. (2022, August 22). How to shift your digital mindset. OPEN MINDS. Retrieved September 16, 2022, from https://openminds.com/market-intelligence/executive-briefings/how-to-shift-your-digital-mindset/
- Oss, M. E. (2022, January 27). The bet is on Digital. OPEN MINDS. Retrieved August 13, 2022, from https://openminds.com/market-intelligence/executive-briefings/the-bet-is-on-digital/
- (2022). Bridging the gaps in the consumer experience. Retrieved September 16, 2022, from https://info.optum.com/bridging-the-gaps-ebook
- Oss, M. E. (2021, March 5). How 34 health care unicorns are changing your world;. OPEN MINDS. Retrieved August 13, 2022, from https://openminds.com/market-intelligence/executive-briefings/how-34-health-care-unicorns-are-changing-your-world/
Did You Know?
There are many, but we see 4 primary digital treatment strategies when it comes to serious mental illness (SMI). 1. Telepsychiatry 2. Digital monitoring and assessment 3. Medication adherence technologies 4. Digital intervention tools
Investments in technology for mental health treatment grew 2.5 times year over year from $0.5 billion in 2017 to $5.1 billion in 2021.
Creating Balance- Innovations in Care Delivery – Integrated Care Delivery – Embracing Support– Innovation – Digital Health – Quality of Care – Patient-Centered Care – Social Determinants of Health & More…
This year, striving for mental wellness focuses on a future in which individuals with mental or substance use problems pursue health, happiness, recovery, and a life of quality. Join in the dialogue as the industry strives for mental wellness.
#JoinTheConversation this year as #PsychU focuses in on Striving for Mental Wellness.
Upcoming Spotlight Themes
- February 2023 – Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- March 2023 – Bipolar Disorder
- April 2023 – Managed Care & Value-Based Reimbursement
- May 2023 – Stigma
- June 2023 – Social Determinants of Health, LGBTQIA+
- July 2023 – Workplace Mental Health/Employers, Minority MH Mental Month
- August 2023 – Metrics & Improvements In Quality Outcomes
- September 2023 – Suicide & Stigma
- October 2023 – Major Depressive Disorder
- November 2023 – Agitation
- December 2023 – Schizophrenia